Re: Guile Release Procedure

Ian Grant <I.A.N.Grant@damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't think we should make releases this quickly because they're almost
> always buggy and then it's a year before we get another one out.

Firstly, I should say that I actually took the liberty myself to
release 1.3.2 since Jim is away.  So I must take the responsibility
if the release is more premature than Jim had intended.

(He told me that he intended to release it before going away, and I
saw that he had put the release archive on his ftp site, so I
concluded that he had just not had time to wait for ftp-upload@gnu.org
to get the archive to ftp.gnu.org before sending the release notice.)

However, Jim has said earlier that he intends to begin releasing Guile
more often.  1.3.4 might be out already during September (= January,
he, he :)

> Can we please have a couple of pre-releases first to get the really
> embarrasing problems (like, it doesn't compile!) out of the way? We need
> to build guile on more than just Intel Linux before releasing it.

Tom Tromey has offered to run pre-release tests on the following platforms:

alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnu
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20
hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00
mips-sgi-irix5.3
powerpc-ibm-aix4.2.0.0
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
sparc-sun-solaris2.6
i686-pc-linux-gnu
mips-sgi-irix6.3
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.4

If additional people offer to run pre-release tests on other
platforms, maybe we could organize some kind of pre-release test
process.