Re: Sparse matrix extension

On 01/19/2016 12:55 PM, Alexis Tantet wrote:
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the quick reply! I wanted to be sure that this contribution
is useful before to spend time on the merging with the latest version.
I will create the gsl.git repository and work on it during the week.

I had already had a look at the documentation but did not know about
the iterative solvers (a link between each modules would be useful).
My contribution indeed fits in the sparse matrix module + the update
of the dgemm and dgemv functions to support CRS (an update may also be
needed for the solvers).

The solvers only call dgemv (as far as I remember) so they shouldn't need an update once dgemv is updated.

I have also developed a simple C++ object allowing to use gsl_spmatrix
as a user-defined matrix in ARPACK++ (a maintained fork of ARPACK++
can be found at https://github.com/m-reuter/arpackpp), allowing to
avoid having to use other libraries such as superLU. It could be
useful to others, maybe as an extension. Now that I think about it,
the iterative solvers could also be used to support the shift and
invert modes (see ARPACK++ documentation). What do you think (I could
work on it)?
I've never used ARPACK, but if you want to make an extension to interface GSL/ARPACK its fine with me - such an extension would never be added to the main GSL code since GSL tries to be as standalone as possible.

If you have major comments, the sooner the better, so that I can work
on them while merging.

Thank you for your interest,
Alexis