GSL containers: was Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

On 26/10/15 15:13, Patrick Alken wrote:
Yes. Iâd be happy to look at redesign of the GSL containers. Whatâs
needed?

There was a discussion on gsl-discuss some time back, see:

https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gsl-discuss/2014-q2/

Gerard may have already done some work on this, or have some ideas on a
good starting point, so I suggest getting in touch with him too (cc'd).

Iâd forgotten the detail of that discussion.

I can think of a way to change the gsl block/vector/matrix alloc functions to be more efficient. In essence it is a pool allocator. It would keep a record, for each power k of two up to some limit n, of the number of blocks allocated for sizes 2^k to 2^{k+1} together with a capacity (also a power of two) for blocks of that range. These would form linked lists of allocated and unallocated blocks. Given a request for a new block, if an unallocated one was available, it would be allocated. Otherwise the capacity would be doubled. When a block is freed, memory is only deallocated if no more than a quarter of capacity is used or if no blocks are used.

This idea needs more input.

I canât think of a good way to create gsl_vectors and the like in stack memory. Of course, it is always possible to create a struct and initialise it.

I also donât know of a good, easy solution to the problem of constness.

--
John D Lamb