Re: GSL 2.0 roadmap (one man's view)

On 09/16/2009 03:48 AM, Gerard Jungman wrote:

In the end, everybody's data structures amount to something plastered
over the top of double *, with some meta-information for layout and
life-cycle control. This includes things likes the row-major vs
column-major distinction, which we should not ignore any longer.

But this rapidly turns into a discussion of gsl_vector and friends,
which we should save for later.

Data structures are sort of foundational, shouldn't we discuss them also now?

I'd like to know how the developers of GSL ended up using gsl_block within gsl_vector and gsl_matrix. Why is it needed?

tda in gsl_matrix struct is a bit of a mystery to me, what is it used for?

I agree that use of other libraries and even other languages with GSL should be made as easy as possible. Data structures with dimension > 1 should be explicit about the data being stored as "column-major" or "row-major".

--
Tuomo.Keskitalo@iki.fi
http://iki.fi/tuomo.keskitalo