Re: GSL 2.0 roadmap (one man's view)

At Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:15:39 -0600,
Gerard Jungman wrote:
> * Better overall organization, expression of module dependencies, etc.

I would be happy to remove the goal of independent sublibraries from
the design document--it doesn't reflect reality.

I am not clear what benefit it would provide to users now anyway--is
there actually a problem with "one big library"?  The original
motivation was to minimise memory usage and allow code to be
extracted.

Memory for shared libraries is not really an issue these days--we can
also leave it up to the linker to remove unnecessary functions if that
is a problem.  The idea of people extracting parts of the library
doesn't seem important either -- it is much easier to install the
whole thing.

If you want to avoid the symbolic linking of header files we could
just move them into the gsl/ directory instead of keeping them in the
individual subdirectories. (While the symlinks are ugly I don't think
they have ever actually caused a problem for anyone.)

--
Brian