Bug report and fix for adaptive step size control in ODE solving

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk@ohiou.edu
Wed Jan 2 13:40:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 23:14 +0100, Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found some problems with adaptive step size control which can
> lead to an infinite loop under special circumstances.
<snip>
> In testcase1.c, the function rhs (t) yields 1 for t>=1.0 and 0
> otherwise.

I may have encountered this when using step functions for current
injection into neuron models. I'd like to be included in the replies.

My workaround was to adjust the step size so that the step ends at the
time of the current injection change. I had to tell the model to change
the current through the comm pointer so that the end point of the step
before the change and the start point of the step after the change have
the same current level as the rest of the step. This workaround is
probably too complex for beginners.