Re: simplicity vs. efficiency of algorithms in GSL

At Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:07:20 -0600,
Gerard Jungman wrote:
> Sounds reasonable. I'm tired of waiting for them to produce
> something attractive. But what do we do?

I think we should continue with simple linear algebra implementations
until there is a major change in the state of the art, like being able
to generate all LAPACK routines automatically with the FLAME tools or
similar.

> Of course, I like things to be neat and tidy; that's just me. Maybe
> other people don't mind having to cobble things together, but I have
> a very low threshold for that. There's no work I do that is so
> compelling that I don't care how painful it is to get the answer.
> And I always want better tools.

The history of the field, and computing in general, doesn't give much
cause for optimism here unfortunately.

--
Brian