Re: can BGFS be made to return the approximate hessian?

Steven Scott wrote:
For nonlinear statistical models the BGFS algorithm is often used to
find the mode of the likelihood function (and thus the MLE point
estimate). The BGFS algorithm constructs an approximate hessian
matrix internally, but the GSL implementation of BGFS does not seem to
expose the approximate hessian to users.

If you personally need this, I have some C++ functions that may help. One separately creates an initial Hessian estimate and the other does a perturbed Cholesky decomposition. Both work with gsl_matrix pointers. I've used these without problems on a large number of problems with matrices with as many as 1800 rows.

--
JDL