Re: Least-Squares Fitting with asymetric errors

On 5. mai. 2004, at 17.05, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

What is the best way of allowing for asymmetric errors? Is the way to do it redefine my "fi" function in both the function (to fit) and the calculation of its derivative to be a step function? i.e. if ( yi <= Yi ) use the ErrorBar+ for sigma if ( yi > Yi ) use the ErrorBar- for sigma

I am not sure of what you mean, I think a more complete description
would be necessary. But it seems to me that here you are setting
yourself up for a discontinous problem (imagina a yi that is close to Yi,
such that a marginal change in parameters will push an observation over the edge and give rise to a discrete change in the objective as one sigma is replaced by the other).

If I understand what you are trying to do, the likelihood should be a weighted sum of the expressions with the two different sigmas, with the weights being determined by the probability of that regime given data and parameters.

Erik
--
Erik Ø. Sørensen
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N;CHARSET=LATIN1:Sørensen;Erik Ø.;;;
FN;CHARSET=LATIN1:Sørensen Erik Ø.
ORG:Norwegian School of Economics;
TITLE:phd student
EMAIL;WORK:erik.sorensen@nhh.no
TEL;WORK:+47 55 95 92 81
TEL;FAX:+47 55 95 95 43
ADR;HOME:;;Hegrenesv 8b;Bergen;;5042;Norway
ADR;WORK;CHARSET=LATIN1:;;Institutt for samfunnsøkonomi NHH;Bergen;;5045;Norway
NOTE:1055107175.55.1690
URL:http://homepage.mac.com/sameos/research.html
END:VCARD