Problems compiling GSL on a Mac OS X

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa@mcw.edu
Thu Jun 12 01:55:00 GMT 2003

>> The configure script looks for isinf().  If it doesn't find it, it can
>> get confused and tries to #define isinf(x) gsl_isinf(x).  Here is what
>> is currently in configure.in:
>>
>> AC_TRY_COMPILE([#define isinf /* */
>> #include <math.h>],[{}],[],[
>>         AC_CHECK_FUNCS(isinf, ,[
>>             AC_MSG_CHECKING([for isinf with <math.h>])
>>             AC_TRY_LINK([#include <math.h>], [float f = 0.0;
>> isinf(f)],[
>>                 AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
>>                 AC_DEFINE(HAVE_ISINF)],
>>                 AC_MSG_RESULT(no))])])
>>
>> --
>> Brian

I still don't understand why this is happening, but the solution is
simple.  Just comment out the isinf and isnan macros in config.h.
Also, if you are building from CVS you should be good to go with the
lastest autotools since they should all be buildable and work on
10.2.6.  I just built and used the following in a CVS build of GSL with
shared libraries:
automake 1.7.5
autoconf 2.57
libtool 1.5
Note that I did a cvs update -d, but I never got a doc/version-ref.texi
file so I just used the one from 1.3.  Where is this supposed to come
from?