Re: FW: roots of quartic equation (fwd)

Hello all!

	Depending on the type of quartic you would like to solve
(coefficients real or complex?), there are a couple options. For real
coefficients, the C'ification of rrteq4.F would be pretty straightforward,
but for complex coefficients you need something more. On the topic of
cubics, I have found that the GSL implementation of solutions to cubic
equations tends to be a little more accurate (for random coefficients)
than CERNLIB.
	It is also important to know what kind of quartics you have.
Most of these routines fail miserably for sufficiently pathological
choices of coefficients (i.e. small odd-powered coefficients).

Later,
Andrew

 Andrew W. Steiner                   Post-doctoral Research Associate
 Nuclear Theory Group                University of Minnesota
 Phone: 612-624-7872                 Fax: 612-624-4875
 Email: stein@physics.umn.edu        URL: http://umn.edu/~stein178