Re: gsl-1.3 builds okay, but fails to install on AIX.

"Dr. David Kirkby" wrote:

> Note, I don't fully understand why the there are messages like
> '1506-755 (W) The -a option is not supported in this release'. Seems a
> bit odd I must admit.

This is now solved.

I now realise what this warning was - the option -arch=604 should have
been -qarch=604. Hence the compiler see the -a and thought it was an
option, which it was not supposed to be. Most options start with q on
the AIX compiler.

The linker however did accept the erroneous -a option and screwed
things up with it. After correcting that option and adding -lm,
gsl-1.3 now passes tests and installs properly.

I say 'passes tests' as its not too easy unless one stares at the
screen for ages, to see if there are any obvious failures. Would it
not be more sensible to use the autoconf/automake method of testing,
so one gets a nice summary at the end, like this, which I get from one
of my packages.

All 82 tests passed
(7 tests were not run)

--