Re: Problems compiling GSL on a Mac OS X

The configure script looks for isinf().  If it doesn't find it, it can
get confused and tries to #define isinf(x) gsl_isinf(x).  Here is what
is currently in configure.in:

AC_TRY_COMPILE([#define isinf /* */
#include <math.h>],[{}],[],[
AC_CHECK_FUNCS(isinf, ,[
AC_MSG_CHECKING([for isinf with <math.h>])
AC_TRY_LINK([#include <math.h>], [float f = 0.0; isinf(f)],[
AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
AC_DEFINE(HAVE_ISINF)],
AC_MSG_RESULT(no))])])

--
Brian

I still don't understand why this is happening, but the solution is simple. Just comment out the isinf and isnan macros in config.h. Also, if you are building from CVS you should be good to go with the lastest autotools since they should all be buildable and work on 10.2.6. I just built and used the following in a CVS build of GSL with shared libraries:
automake 1.7.5
autoconf 2.57
libtool 1.5
Note that I did a cvs update -d, but I never got a doc/version-ref.texi file so I just used the one from 1.3. Where is this supposed to come from?