Re: Reading and writing GSL random number generators

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:24:07AM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> I would prefer that GSL only write to files -- the user can create
> an in-memory file with fmemopen().

This seems strange to me. On the one hand, fmemopen() seems not to be
any Unix standard (like POSIX, for example) and is most probably not
available on all platforms (it's part of the glibc). This may present
a problem especially for GSL-wrappers for other languages.

On the other hand, a file is a high level data structure, whereas a
string not so much. Therefore it would seem more logical to me, if the
GSL would provide functions to write data structures to a string, that
can subsequently be written to a file.

--

Olaf