Re: FFTW 3.0 beta available

GSL is intended as a free alternative to general purpose numerical
libraries such as NAG/IMSL/Numerical Recipes.  Historically this
accounts for the majority of users.  Consequently GSL's main design
goal is ease of use for the casual user, rather than performance.

I see high-performance libraries as being in a different part of the
ease-of-use/performance trade-off space from GSL.  So, for example, I
plan to keep the FFTs in GSL, since they fill a different need from
FFTW.

I'm not personally planning to expand the scope of GSL into an
umbrella project, since we're already resource limited - at the moment
I would just like to get more people involved in what we have.

Regarding LAPACK, I did once look at the possibility of making it more
accessible from C but basically decided that it was not worthwhile due
to (a) issues with row/column-major storage (b) licensing of LAPACK
itself and its non-free documentation.  I decided to leave the LAPACK
problem for someone else to solve.

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd           Phone: +44 117 3179309 (UK: 0117 3179309)
15 Royal Park                  Fax: +44 117 9048108 (UK: 0117 9048108)
Bristol BS8 3AL                WWW: http://www.network-theory.co.uk/
United Kingdom               Email: bjg at network-theory dot co dot uk