Re: my fussy compiler likes explicit casts

On 13 Feb 2003, J.J.Green wrote:

] Hi all
]
] > Someone who understands casting better than I (especially when const's
] > are involved) might want to look these over before applying them.
] > There may be better/deeper philosophical reasons not to employ
] > explicit casts, but they permit the compiler to work for me
]
] I think it is generally thought to be bad practice to
] make explicit casts of void* types, ie, as returned
] from malloc, at least in C programs (C++ may be different)
] - the C standard insists that a void* is automatically
]   converted to the correct type on assignment
] - explicit casts can mask errors
]
] See, for example the comp.lang.c FAQ
]
]   http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q7.7.html
]
] Cheers
]
] -j
] --
] J. J. Green, Department of Applied Mathematics, Hicks Bd.,
] Hounsfield Rd.,  University of Sheffield,  Sheffield, UK.
] +44 (0114) 222 3742,  http://www.vindaloo.uklinux.net/jjg
]
]
]

Thanks for the insight and for the reference, I suspected something
like that might be the case.  I'll take it up with Parasoft.

jt

James Theiler                     jt@lanl.gov
MS-D436, NIS-2, LANL        tel: 505/665-5682
Los Alamos, NM 87545        fax: 505/665-4414
----- Space and Remote Sensing Sciences -----