Re: GNU Scientific Library

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 06:23:31PM +0100, emombel@nimr.mrc.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install the  GNU Scientific Library but when I try to
> compile an example program, I found in the reference manual, I encounter
> the following error messages:
>
> /tmp/ccOEfTKp.o: In function `main':
> /tmp/ccOEfTKp.o(.text+0x15): undefined reference to `gsl_matrix_alloc'
> /tmp/ccOEfTKp.o(.text+0x27): undefined reference to `gsl_matrix_alloc'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> It looks like there is something wrong with the libraries

Possibly, or maybe you forgot to link with one of them.  It is hard
to tell without knowing what command line you used.

The best thing to do is: immediately after building ("make") but
before "make install", do "make check".  That runs a regression test
and should tell you whether the libraries are correctly built.

> When I typed 'make install' some errors were detected:
>
> make[2]: *** [install-pkgincludeHEADERS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/emombel/GSL/gsl-1.0/sys'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/emombel/GSL/gsl-1.0/sys'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

The important information appears in the lines above the first "Error 1",
which you omitted.  Do you have write permission on the directories
to which you are installing gsl?

-S