Re: GSL within Public Domain Software

Lowell Johnson writes:
 >  My hope is that each module retains its original license.  (This
 > only applies to GPL-compatible licenses.)  In other words, my
 > application code would remain in the public domain and the GSL
 > would remain under the GPL.  Anyone wanting to pull my code into a
 > proprietary package is welcome to do so, but they'll have to deal
 > with rewriting the sections that call GSL functions.
 >  This is one interpretation of what is said at
 >      http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
 >  pointed out in an earlier message by Jason Beegan, although the
 > GPL does state that any "derived" application inherits the GPL.  It
 > seems like there is room for more clarity.

Yes, I don't know what the legal interpretations of these terms are
either.  I just work by the rule that using the GPL is safe and what
we would recommend for the general user, although that is not applicable
in this case...  you could also try asking <licensing@gnu.org>
about your situtation as they may have dealt with it before.