Re: GSL within Public Domain Software

> The question is, since our software is from the government (public domain),
> what are the legalities of linking with a GPL'ed library?

Hi,

I'm one of the developer but I'm afraid I don't have the legal
knowledge to give a definite answer here.

However, a lot of people at various government labs and agencies have
dealt with this, and getting in touch with them will be the way to
find out first-hand.  It is a general issue for any work on GPL'ed
code by people working for the government.  There is certainly work
based on GPL'ed code being released by people in ".gov", e.g.  NSA
Secure Linux, so they would be one starting point, http://www.nsa.gov/selinux

One important point, I believe there is a difference between work done
under contract to the government and work done by government
employees.  If I understand correctly the public-domain rule only
applies to the latter while the former is governed by the contract and
can, in principle, use other licences if the contract is written to
allow it.

Let us know how you get on, if necessary I can look into it in more
detail.

best regards
Brian Gough