Re: [smartquant] Re: GPL license violation? [GNU Scientific Library]

Ferdinando Ametrano wrote:

> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>
> > Anton Fokin doesn't need to comply with the GPL
> > if he doesn't distribute the GSL with his program.
>
> This is simply not true. Please do not state your opinion as truth.
> Anton Fokin does need to comply with the GPL
> if his software R-Quant needs GSL to work.

It doesn't need the GSL to work.
Anybody can write a library using the same API as GSL
and distribute it under any license that they want.

> That is, if R-Quant includes GSL wrappers, R-Quant must be GPL.

No!  You can't copyright an API.
The Free Software Foundation (FSF) exists
only because it is possible to clone proprietary APIs
without violating copyright restrictions.

> This is not just my opinion: it has always been made clear by FSF.

Show us where you think your assertion
has been made clear by the FSF.