Re: RFC: Audit external function called indirectly via GOT

* Carlos O'Donell:

> Well, Levin's "Linker's and Loaders"
> https://www.iecc.com/linker/linker10.html, is the immediate reference
> that I have on my shelf, and that developers working on glibc/binutils
> should read.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

>> My understanding is that H.J.'s proposal requires changes when running
>> in non-audit mode.  It certainly requires relinking all binaries,
>> perhaps even with special flags.
>
> It would require a relink only to fix existing binaries which are broken
> by the use of -fno-plt, which is not an option that has seen general use
> anywhere that I am aware of.

I don't think that's actually true.  BFD ld has not emitted
R_X86_64_JUMP_SLOT relocations with -z now for quite some time now.
This optimization predates -fno-plt.

Please check some older BIND_NOW binaries to confirm this.

Does this alter your position?