RE: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

> I am sorry if the question I ask is dumb, but how can you boot
> from a diskette, when the C lib is corrupted? AFAIK, the diskette
> simply let's you boot the kernel that is on it, and then the root file
> system of the HD is mounted, and then the control is transfered
> to /sbin/init, which needs the C lib.  Notwithstanding that,
> the shell that you'd use after booting from a diskette needs glibc.

It has been my experience that slackware's boot and root disk (though I use
redhat for my initial system install's) will let me do "anything" I need to
repair a damaged installation.

As far as Nick's problem goes, I've had a similar experience in the past
where either through a manual install of the libraries, or whatever, the
previous versions of libc were deleted, or replaced by the newer versions of
libc.

In that case init will not start because it is linked against the removed
versions of libc.

In this case, boot the system and set the init=/bin/sh (or other shell
compiled against an installed version of libc or a statically linked shell)
through lilo, then recompile init against the currently installed library.
Also when finished doing that create a statically linked version of init and
install it in /sbin/init.static (incase it ever happens again).

Benjamin J. Judson