Re: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Kate Ahrens wrote:

> Configure, make and make check all went smoothly. make install
> however, returned an error - error 127. Then my machine froze. At
> this stage I am not able to log in, and rebooting results in an
> init error: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open
> shared object file: cannot load shared object file: no such file
> or directory.

I'd try booting from a rescue diskette, then mount your hard drive and
take a look at the contents of /lib.  See if the make install got as
far as putting the new libs in place (e.g., most importantly for
logging in, libc-2.2.3.so, ld-2.2.3.so and libcrypt-2.2.3.so).  If so,
you should check that appropriate symlinks exist:

libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.3.so
ld-linux.so -> ld-linux.so.2
ld-linux.so.2 -> ld-2.2.3.so
libcrypt.so -> libcrypt.so.1
libcrypt.so.1 -> libcrypt-2.2.3.so

Check also that /sbin/ldconfig exists and has the same date as the new
C libraries.

In general, it's a good idea to go to single-user mode ("telinit 1")
when doing a make install on glibc.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics