unistall?

Is there a way of uninstalling a package on linux?

Say one installed two versions of the same program and wants to do
away with the older version. Is there a standard procedure like
there is for installing?

I tried reading the man pages for rpm but, I do not fully
understand how use the program to do the job. The syntax is a
little confusing.

Or maybe yast? The problem is that I am not root and so I have to
go through the system administrator. He is new as the administrator
and not an expect.

Any form of help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Gerald Marewo
Free Unix Systems and their Vi versions