Re: malloc problem/question in 2.1.3

David,

When you mentioned the SIGSEGV in a program where you are
using malloc() and free() the first thing I thought of was that you
were freeing some memory that hadn't been allocated.

This has bitten me so many times in my XWindows programs
that now I make sure all my pointers are initialized to NULL
so that I can test for a NULL pointer before I attempt to
free any memory.

I'm glad you found your problem.  You're lucky the debugger
indicated the problem was in malloc().  Usually, after freeing
memory not previously allocated, the SIGSEGV will occur
in some totally unrelated code.

Kathy Bieltz