Re: Reduce glibc libraries...

dony wrote:

> > > to modify and remove any unuseful sources from the glibc libraries to
> > > reduce the size of libraries I need? But it is too difficult. So what's
> > > your suggestions or alternative  methods ?  Does it make any difference
> > > if I compile my application with static-link options "-s"? Are there
> > > someone to do these jobs now?
> >
> > Have you stripped the debugging info from the libraries ?
> > If not then use "strip" or "objdump [--strip-all] [--strip-debug]
> > [--strip-unneeded]" .
>
> Thank you Brendan :-)
> I have not heard from you for a long time. How are you ?
> BTW:
>       objdump should be "objcopy"?

Correct.

>       Can the apps run correctly on the target If I use these stripped
> libraries?

Yep.  The debugging information is only used by debuggers such as gdb.  This
stuff is in the elf/coff/aout file.  When the loader loads the elf file it only
looks at the sections that contain code and data.  ie. it ignores the extra
debugging information.  Stripping the debugging information does not alter the
code and data sections so everything gets loaded into memory the same way as if
the debugging information was present.  It just means that you can't debug the
source.  Of course you can still look at the assembly with a disassemlber.

Brendan Simon.