Re: Why some symbols exported in .a but not .so

 > New to glibc...

 > Why are some symbols global in the static library
 > but not in the shared library.

 > For example, internal functions
 > like _nl_find_locale are visible in the archive
 > library.

_nl_find_locale is an internal symbol and therefore should not be used
by other programs.  With symbol versioning, we can hide the symbol -
but symbol versioning does only work with shared libraries and not
with static libs.

Btw. you might want to read about symbol versioning in the ld manual
and the glibc FAQ.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger