Problem with locales

Hi all,

while playing around with locales, which I had never used before, I
noticed that the behaviour of the date/time formats doesn't behave as
expected in some situations.

I changed a simple digital clock (E-DigTime, an Enlightenment Epplet)
to use `%X' as the time format and `%x' as the date format. Both are
defined to be the `appropriate [time|date] format' according to the
libc documentation.

Reading the man page locale(5), I would think that the keywords
`d_fmt' and `t_fmt' respectively describe these preferred formats in
the locale source file.

OK, let's start with en_US:
t_fmt is equal to the %r format using an 12 hour clock with AM/PM
information.

I would think of %X to expand to %r, instead it displays the time as
%T (24-hour clock).

The date is correct here.

Then I tried de_DE:
t_fmt is equal to %T and so it is displayed.

d_fmt is %d.%m.%y, however the display looks like %F (ISO 8601)

Did I understand anything completely wrong, or is there a malfunction?
Is there a `disassemler' for the binary locale files which I could use
to track down the problem?

BTW: I didn't change the locales since I installed glibc-2.1.2.

Regards,
	Marcus
--
	  Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
		  UNIX however is `expert friendly'.

    Marcus Harnisch <mailto:marcus@harnisch.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>