strip makes libs unusable

I more or less had sucessfully installed glibc-2.1.2 on my i586,
linux-2.2.12, gcc-2.95.1 box (some backwards incompatibilities still
remain to be solved,  as per my preceding post).

I ran strip/ranlib on all the .a libs (actually by mistake) and that
made some programs (but not all)  unlinkable,
specifically,  ones with calls to stat or lstat.   I reinstalled
libc_nonshared.a and the problem went away.

1.  Why?
2.   Do all the other .a libs have to be reinstalled.
3.   I thought strip was supposed to be safe on .a or .so libs--I guess
it isn't.

THIS SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE FAQ/INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

David