Re: Lib Tools

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 04:14:28PM -0500, Bruce M Beach wrote:

>      I made and installed glibc without too many problems.
>      Currently I am building a new drive from scratch where
>      glibc will be the main gcc library because I read somewhere
>      that if you did this everyone will like you. Currently I am
>      able to boot the drive and I have gcc installed. (I think).
>      What I could use are tools in general for examining libraries,
>      in particular the contents of a library, if such a thing exists.
>      Also does anybody knows where I can get source for ldd
>      (other than red hat rpm's). (Mine is ancient).

One of the easier ways to do this is to build everything -static, and install
them into a chroot. Then you won't need to reboot all the time, and you
will be able to fix things using the host distrobution.

Once you have binutils, make, glibc, fileutils, textutils, gcc, your favorite
shell, and perhaps a few other packages installed into this chroot, then
jump into it. And recompile everything dynamically inside the chrooted hole.

This is by no means a recipe, but it'll give you the basic idea.

--Jack

P.S. I did this. There are still some people who don't like me.