Re: Upgrading glibc and egcs at the same time

Mark> On 29 Jun 1999, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> Did you check the Glibc2 HowTo and Frodo documentation?
>>
>> >From the FAQ:
>>
>> 4.4.	What other sources of documentation about glibc are available?
>>
>> {AJ} The FSF has a page about the GNU C library at
>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/>.  The problem data base of open and

Mark> Yes, and as of this morning it still says that the latest available is a
Mark> test version of 2.0, when in fact 2.1.1 is released.

I didn't point you to that page for the problem you had!

>> solved bugs in GNU libc is available at
>> <http://www-gnats.gnu.org:8080/cgi-bin/wwwgnats.pl>.  Eric Green has written
>> a HowTo for converting from Linux libc5 to glibc2.  The HowTo is accessable
>> via the FSF page and at <http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc>.

Mark> I found this one helpful.  My starting point was almost exactly as you
Mark> describe, but I took no pains to preserve the ability to compile against
Mark> libc5.

Mark> Notable is Eric's <a http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/index.html>
Mark> statement </a> that he no longer maintains his GNU libc pages.  They are
Mark> indeed out of date, but the conversion information is still useful.

Mark> It looks like everyone who had created Web pages on glibc2 has decided
Mark> that they are Somebody Else's Problem.  One of the most interesting cases
Mark> is Cygnus, who took the trouble to create a DNS entry for glibc.cygnus.com
Mark> and then pointed http://glibc.cygnus.com/ to the egcs project page --
Mark> there are no links to glibc anywhere on that site (that I can discover)
Mark> even though the code is there somewhere.

Come on, get serious.  Should every machine have a web page?
glibc.cygnus.com is not set up as webserver - and nobody told you so.
If you would have checked the archives of glibc-linux you would have
noticed that I announced the URL at sourceware which others already
mentioned.

Mark> If anyone has wondered why libc6/glibc2 has not spread more rapidly, maybe
Mark> these clues will help.

If you like to help to improve the pages, feel free to contact the
glibc maintainer Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>.  He asked
several times for people to maintain the pages and nobody volunteered
AFAIK.

Some people think it's better to fix bugs in the library than updating
a web page in their spare time.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de