This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[Bug regex/693] mishandled '\B'
- From: "karl at freefriends dot org" <sourceware-bugzilla at sources dot redhat dot com>
- To: glibc-bugs-regex at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 25 Jan 2005 17:11:26 -0000
- Subject: [Bug regex/693] mishandled '\B'
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: sourceware-bugzilla at sources dot redhat dot com
------- Additional Comments From karl at freefriends dot org 2005-01-25 17:11 -------
When Kathy and I wrote that description of \B more than a decade ago, we did not
have any deep reasoning behind it. In fact, we never thought of the possibility
that "inverse of \b" and "empty string within a word" were two different things.
We were just trying to give simple examples.
The manual was never meant to be taken as gospel or a standard, we were more
trying to describe how things worked than as a prescription of how things should
work. (It also desperately needs updating.)
So, I'm sorry that so much effort has gone into implementing our off-the-cuff
description of \B. However, it seems to me that it would be better for users if
\B in the new regex had the same definition as it's always had -- not \b. I
don't see any advantage to being incompatible with the past here; just the opposite.
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are on the CC list for the bug, or are watching someone who is.