Re: Linux kernel debugging and other features

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 14 May 2019 18:04:25 -0400
Thomas Caputi <tcaputi@datto.com> wrote:

> I apologize, but after speaking with some of the people at Delphix I
> may have made things a little more confusing than they should have
> been and spoken a bit sooner than I should have. To simplify the
> current status, we should probably divide this conversation into 2
> topics.

No problem. Maybe I got a little over excited as well :)

> First is the set of lower-level changes to gdb that allow it to read
> and understand the linux kernel and kdumps, both of which were largely
> done by Jeff, although we adapted some of his code to be able to work
> with live systems via /proc/kcore. In this sub-category, there are 2
> main bodies of work. First is the bits of python code that inform gdb
> how to interpret kernel memory and gather things like threads and
> per-cpu variables so that it can present them normally. This code
> works for both live and post-mortem systems. Second is the "kdump"
> target which consists of (1) some patches to gdb to allow targets to
> be written in python, (2) libkdumpfile (a separate library for parsing
> kdump files), and (3) the kdump target itself which creates a python
> target using libkdumpfile. Since this code is mostly Jeff's work (as
> far as I am aware) we are going to work with him to see what he would
> like to do / what his plans are.

Sure you should discuss that with Jeff. Nevertheless when you decide you want
to include the code in gdb, I think it is best you simply post the patches to
the mailing list. In my opinion you can discuss a topic best when you can have
a look at the code.

The only thing I'm not so sure about is the current policy about including
external libraries. I.e. if it is preferred to include libkdumpfile or
teach gdb/bfd directly to read kdump files. In the end that is something the
maintainers have to decide. But again, it's best to discuss that with a patch.

> Second is the set of gdb extensions written in python that allow
> custom sub-commands to be piped together. These were written
> completely by the folks at Delphix and should work with vanilla gdb
> with or without Jeff's work. As for this work I have been informed
> that they would like a little more time to polish the code, so perhaps
> we can table this discussion for a bit until the code is ready.

Recently Philippe Waroquiers posted some patches [1] to implement a pipe
command. You should take a look at them, so you don't implement the same
functionality twice.

[1] https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-05/msg00133.html

> So, in short, I think I jumped the gun a little bit in bringing these
> changes to this mailing list. I think we still have a little more work
> and polishing to do before we are ready to share everything. At this
> point I guess we will come back to this discussion when things are
> more ready.

Sure, take your time.

Looking forward to see your patches at the mailing list
Philipp