Re: question about why gdb needs executable's binary

Sorry for the delay, I needed some time to read up on DT_DEBUG and r_debug.
It makes a little bit more sense now, so thanks a lot. If you find time,
I'd still like to ask a few more questions:

PT_NOTE can't be read by gdb, that settles it, thanks *thumb up*. That
being said, how about dlopen()? How do these get in the trace? Surely not
from the executable.

For what I found out about DT_DEBUG this section gets initialized by ld as
you said. Do I understand you correctly, this is an alternative to the
first option, that in fact doesn't require the executable?

Thank you
Jirka