Re: question about why gdb needs executable's binary

On 3/13/19 8:41 AM, Jirka Koutný wrote:
> Thanks Andreas! Aha that's interesting.. hmm so, is there some read-only
> segment, that would contain information necessary for the output of 'where'?

The .text section containing the instructions being executed is often needed
for unwinding if there is no debug info.  On some architectures with a fixed
frame layout like 32-bit x86 you can get by without decoding instructions, but
on other architectures like 64-bit x86, an unwinder has to try to decode
instructions to determine frame layouts in the absence of debug info.

--
John Baldwin