Re: Proposal: Drop GDB support for Python versions < 2.6

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 05:45:12 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 06:39:04 +0400
> > From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> > Cc: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com>, gdb@sourceware.org

> > > Don't know if anyone cares, but as a heavy user of Python support in
> > > GDB, I'm fine with this.  As long as GDB still supports Python 2.7 it's
> > > A-OK with me.
> >
> > +1.
> >
> > As for Python 2.7, let's keep it for a year or two more, before
> > we completely drop it.
>
> Dropping 2.6, let alone 2.7, would be a terrible nuisance for me.  So
> I'm asking to keep that until they really put a drag on the GDB
> development (which doesn't seem to be the case now).

That's fine.  At the moment, there's no real reason to not continue to
(potentially) support 2.6.  I say "potentially" because for some of us,
figuring out how to test against 2.6 is really hard.  However, if you
continue to do regular builds of upstream gdb using Python 2.6,
it'll get tested.

Kevin