Re: Proposal: Drop GDB support for Python versions < 2.6

On Wed, 2019-02-20 at 21:44 +0000, Jan Vrany wrote:
> Actually, I'd even be fine with more radical move, dropping support
> for 2.x altogether. Python 2.7 support will end in less a year
> from now anyway.

I expected someone to say this :).

I'm well aware of the EOL pan for Python 2.7, obviously.  However, I
cannot begin to guess when we'll stop using it internally due to the
massive (and 100% unproductive) overhead involved with transitioning to
Python 3.  We only use Python (and GDB!) internally, and we build it
ourselves we don't use a version that comes with our distribution, so
it doesn't really matter to us how well supported it is externally.

So, I would be unhappy if support for Python 2.7 were dropped.
However, when it becomes a big burden for GDB devs to support it I
guess we'll have to do something else (build Python 3 just for GDB?)

Again, just speaking as a user, not a GDB developer.