gdbserver with a core file?

Has anyone every considered, or actually implemented, the ability to
use gdbserver to debug a core file remotely in addition to debugging
live processes?

More and more I'm seeing core files dumped on AWS or Google Cloud
instances.  It's really expensive (and slow!!) to copy these many-GB
cores back to my local system for debugging, and they're often only
needed for an hour or so.

Of course I could debug them in the cloud, but either I need to go
without source code during debugging or I need to copy my source code
into the cloud, neither of which is particularly appealing for all
kinds of reasons.

When I was working on embedded systems gdbserver was a lifesaver, and
it would save me a lot of time (and $$) if I could debug core files
with it.

Any thoughts on this?