Re: Stop updating ChangeLog?

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, Yao Qi wrote:
>
>> P.S. I found that this topic has been discussed several times in
>> various projects (binutils, glibc, etc) without any conclusions.  I do
>> hope we can make some progress this time :)
>
> All those places are the wrong place for actually effecting any change
> other than (c) (generating ChangeLog files at release time having been
> permitted by the GNU Coding Standards for over 20 years).
>
> The correct place for discussion of whether the ChangeLog format is useful
> generically for GNU projects is the bug-standards list, continuing the
> discussion that has been going on intermittently since I started it on 28
> July last year.  If that discussion results in a GCS change along the
> lines I proposed (that is, removing the requirement for ChangeLog format),
> then individual projects can consider what commit log format is most
> useful for them.

Joseph,
The format of ChangLog entry is out of the scope of this discussion.
IMO, each project is free to choose whether to write changelog entry
or not (either in commit log or ChangeLog file).  Some GNU projects
have ChangeLog files, some don't.  This discussion is
about how much do we need changelog in GDB.  To me, changelog
are not useful, so the changelog format isn't interesting to me.

--
Yao (齐尧)