Which board testsuite configuration file should I run (target: ARM Embedded platform (gdbserver); host: GNU/Linux)

Hey!

Lately I wanted to run the gdb testsuite in GDB 8.0.1 to see if the same
assert I came across gets triggert with the teststuite as well.

The target is an Embedded ARM platform the host is a GNU/Linux OS.
After some reading I ended up with this line.
$ cd gdb/testsuite && make site.exp && runtest
--target_board=remote-stdio-gdbserver REMOTE_USERNAME=root
REMOTE_HOSTNAME=192.168.31.7

The testsuite did run fine, although it did not trigger the assert. So I
thought, I may give the latest weekly snapshot a try, which was at that
date gdb-weekly-8.1.50.20180116.tar.xz. After downloading and compiling for
the ARM platform. I wanted to run the testsuite again, but without any
luck. After some investigation I figured out that the test programs did not
get downloaded to the target platform, in addition I had to set the
REMOTE_TMPDIR now as well.

$ cd gdb/testsuite && make site.exp && runtest
--target_board=remote-stdio-gdbserver REMOTE_USERNAME=root
REMOTE_HOSTNAME=192.168.31.7 REMOTE_TMPDIR=/tmp

After grepping through the git history. I added back these lines below to
remote-stdio-gdbserver.ex. The testsuite did now run fine again. (I have
slightly modified ${board}_download from 739b3f1d8f)

proc ${board}_download { board host dest } {
    return [standard_download $board $host "$dest"]
}

proc ${board}_upload {dest srcfile args} {
    return [standard_upload $dest $srcfile $args]
}

proc ${board}_file { dest op args } {
    if { $op == "delete" } {
    return [remote_exec [get_remote_login] "rm -f $args"]
    }
    return [eval [list standard_file $dest $op] $args]
}

My question is, is this a regression or did I use the wrong board
configuration file.

BTW, the assert triggered in thread.c from GDB 8.0.1 did go away in
gdb-weekly-8.1.50.20180116.tar.xz. However, a different assert gets now
triggerd in target.c.

Thank you!

Christian