Re: meaning of "Automatic date update in version.in" commits

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:00:31 -0700
Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:

> > It is evident for me. But in the discussion I see a lot of arguments,
> > that I treat as "date stamp is used as ABI compatibility marker".
>
> Then, I am in the same situation as Pedro. What problem are you trying
> to fix?

Oops. Let's start from the begining. Far far away...

1. Explicit "Automatic date update in version.in" commits litter commits tree,
but useless. All required info already present in git.
[Thanks for Ian Lance Taylor for the background!]

Let's remove this "Automatic date update in version.in" commits.

2. I see a lot of suggestions "Let's push date to SONAME, the date we
will take from ....".

I trying to prevent such "solutions". Because it's not a solution, but
origin of another problems.

3rd law of human interaction.
Corollary 1: If you explain so clearly that nobody can misunderstand, somebody will.
Corollary 4: No matter how long or how many times you explain, no one is listening.

[Chisholm Effect: Basic laws of frustration, mishap, and delay]