Re: GDB and -gdwarf-5

> I have GCC 6.3.0 installed, and it seems to support DWARF2 version 5
> via the -gdwarf-5 switch.  But I wanted to make sure I really get that
> version of debug info, so I tried "info source" in GDB.  But that
> command doesn't tell the version of DWARF2.  Is there a GDB command
> which does?
>
> I also tried "objdump --dwarf=info" (Binutils 2.29), but that says the
> DWARF2 version is 4.  So now I'm confused.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to verify the version of DWARF2 I get
> with that GCC switch?

I would compile a unit, and then dump the DWARF info using objdump
or readelf. The beginning of that section includes the DWARF version
number. Alternatively, compile with -save-temps -dA, and look at
the assembly file instead. -dA annotates the directives used to
produce the DWARF, and should also make it easy to verify the version
number.

--
Joel