Re: gdb compiling - version.c error

On 2017-05-29 20:10, Nathália Harumi via gdb wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I am writing to enquire about a problem I am having to compile GDB.
When I execute the Makefile, it returns an error:

    g++: error: version.c: No such file or directory
    g++: fatal error: no input files"

I noticed there is a line in Makefile where is missing a parameter on
the .sh calling.

    /bin/bash ./common/create-version.sh . \
          version.c
    mv: missing destination file operand after 'version.c-tmp'
    Try 'mv --help' for more information.

which is the version.c destination.

So, I would like to ask about these parameters on create-version.sh,
once I do not know for sure the meaning of each one.
Also, I would like to highlight this issue, even though I am not sure
if it is a local error or a broken commit.

Thank you,
Nathalia Harumi

Hi Nathalia,

On my build, it looks like this (sorry for the probable line wrap):

/bin/bash /home/emaisin/src/binutils-gdb/gdb/common/create-version.sh /home/emaisin/src/binutils-gdb/gdb \
    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu x86_64-pc-linux-gnu version.c

If you look at the top of create-version.sh, you'll see that your version of the call is missing the two following parameters:

  host_alias="$2"
  target_alias="$3"

Looking at the gdb/config.log file in the build directory, what are the values of host_alias and target_alias? Where do they come from (what flags do you pass to configure)?

Simon