Re: Help Translating Message from MIPS Simulator

On 4/16/2017 9:26 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On 4/15/2017 6:44 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017, Joel Sherrill wrote:

We have some RTEMS tests failing on the mips simulator
in gdb. We are using the jmr3904 configuration and the
run ends with this message:

HILO: MFHI: MF at 0x88015698 following OP at 0x88000464 corrupted by MT at
0x88003c68

0x88000464 does appear to be in a reasonable location
inside the test.

How do I translate the rest to get an idea about the fault?

 I'll give some background information.

 In MIPS architecture HILO or HI/LO is the integer multiply-divide (MD)
unit's accumulator aka the HI and LO register pair.  For widening
multiplication LO holds the low part of the product and HI holds the
corresponding high part.  For division LO holds the quotient and HI holds
the remainder.

 These registers are not a part of the general ALU and therefore special
operations have been defined to retrieve and also to store data there:
MFHI and MFLO (Move From HI/LO) are the read instructions and MTHI and
MTLO (Move To HI/LO) are the write instructions for the HI and the LO
register respectively.

 In older architecture revisions the MTHI and MTLO instructions are only
really useful for context switches as data placed there cannot be further
used, except to read it back with MFHI or MFLO.  Consequently MTHI and
MTLO are seldom used and those architecture revisions do not have hardware
interlocks implemented for them, requiring a sufficient number of other
instructions to be executed between a MFHI or MFLO and a following MTHI or
MTLO for predictable results to be produced.  Otherwise the MTHI/MTLO
operation may (and generally will) corrupt data retrieved with MFHI/MFLO.

This is an old MIPS being simulated. It is the TX3904.
So all that applies.

 NB later architecture revisions have integer multiply-accumulate
instructions which use HI/LO as one of inputs, making MTHI and MTLO more
useful, and they do implement hardware interlocks for them.

 So the message above means that the result of a MFHI or MFLO operation
(MF) at 0x88015698 executed after an MD unit operation (OP) at 0x88000464
has been corrupted by a MTHI or MTLO operation (MT) at 0x88003c68.  And I
believe that what I wrote above makes the HILO and MFHI prefixes obvious.

Thanks for the explanation.

0x88000464 is in the test code.

0x88003c68 is in the device driver. It is executing in the same thread
as the test code. This is a single threaded test with no context switches
before the failure.

    0x88003c54 <+88>:    beq     a2,a3,0x88003c7c <i2c_bus_transfer+128>
    0x88003c58 <+92>:    addiu   v1,v1,12
    0x88003c5c <+96>:    lhu     v0,2(v1)
    0x88003c60 <+100>:   andi    t0,v0,0x4000
    0x88003c64 <+104>:   bnez    t0,0x88003c2c <i2c_bus_transfer+48>
    0x88003c68 <+108>:   mtlo    t3
    0x88003c6c <+112>:   move    t1,a3

The code for i2c_bus_transfer is in pure C and it looks like gcc generated
that mtlo. I don't see a mthi or any mfhi/lo instructions in the method.

0x88015698 is the mfhi instruction in the outer level of the RTEMS
interrupt processing code. This is the source:

         mflo  t0
         STREG t8, R_T8*R_SZ(sp)
         STREG t0, R_MDLO*R_SZ(sp)
         STREG t9, R_T9*R_SZ(sp)
         mfhi  t0                 <===================
         STREG gp, R_GP*R_SZ(sp)
         STREG t0, R_MDHI*R_SZ(sp)
         STREG fp, R_FP*R_SZ(sp)

The first two are in C. The last was obviously is in assembly.

Thinking on this more, I think this is a false positive. The
code flag is saving hi/lo at the beginning of an interrupt
and will restore it at the end of the interrupt. This is a
perfectly save and proper.

I think the check is great for single-threaded (and likely
multi-threaded) code with no interrupts. But it doesn't know
that this is actually saving the CPU context and will later
restore it.

What do you think?

Based on your description, I think gcc is using this as a scratch register
and shouldn't. In case we are using the wrong compiler options, this is
what we use:

-march=r3900 -Wa,-xgot -G0

I will file a gcc ticket and cc you on it if that looks like the explanation.

Thanks.

Thanks again.

--joel
 HTH,