Re: Issue with Latest GDB on AIX with GCC-6.12

> From: David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:02:35 -0500
> Cc: Nitish Kumar Mishra <mishra.nitish.88@gmail.com>, "gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>, 	Yao Qi <qiyaoltc@gmail.com>
>
> >> Can we disable -static-libgcc and -static-libstdc++ for AIX?
> >
> > Works for me.  Those are added by the top level configure.  They were
> > originally added for gcc, we just inherited it.  Ideally adding
> > those would be controllable with a configure option, IMO.
>
> We shouldn't disable static-libgcc and static-libstdc++ for GCC.  And
> static would be better.  But linking GDB dynamically could be helpful
> as an interim work-around.

Please let's not do that on MS-Windows at least.  Dynamically linking
against these two libraries has the following 2 adverse effects:

  . it requires any site that distributes precompiled Windows binaries
    of GDB to also distribute the full humongous tarball of GCC
    sources (because libgcc runtime exception doesn't cover dynamic
    linking against shared libraries); and

  . it opens the gates of the "DLL hell", since there's any number of
    libgcc and libstdc++ DLLs from different versions of GCC floating
    around on any given Windows system with GNU software, and there's
    no practical way to ensure binary compatibility between the one
    found first on PATH and a particular version of GDB one wants to
    run