This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the GDB project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

JIT code debugging doesn't work with dynamically linked LLVM

The symptom is that when we switch to dynamically linked LLVM (shared
library, instead of static library), the JIT code debugging doesn't
work anymore.

I've just traced down the issue to this piece of code in

      reg_symbol = lookup_minimal_symbol_and_objfile (jit_break_name);
      if (reg_symbol.minsym == NULL
      || BMSYMBOL_VALUE_ADDRESS (reg_symbol) == 0)
    return 1;

      desc_symbol = lookup_minimal_symbol (jit_descriptor_name, NULL,
      if (desc_symbol.minsym == NULL
      || BMSYMBOL_VALUE_ADDRESS (desc_symbol) == 0)
    return 1;

The issue is that `lookup_minimal_symbol_and_objfile (jit_break_name)`
returns the plt entry in our code that links to LLVM so obviously the
lookup for the desc_symbol cannot success since there's no plt entry
for it..... (and even if it does, the breakpoint is still set on the
wrong function)

This can probably be fixed by skipping plt entries in the first symbol
lookup (no patch attached since I don't know how to do that in gdb).
It might also be nice if multiple symbols presented in different
libraries can be supported to.

Yichao Yu

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]