This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Go C++ only
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "gdb at sourceware dot org" <gdb at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:17:39 -0700
- Subject: Re: Go C++ only
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> As last discussed, the general consensus was to make 7.12
> the last gdb version that supports building with a C compiler.
> I've been holding proposing to drop C-mode support in master
> with the idea that that would help with all the bugfix
> backporting going on. I've had to explain this several times
> recently, as people are eager to use C++ features. Multiple
> times this week, even.
> At this point the backporting rate is quite low though, so
> maybe it no longer makes that much sense to hold C++ back,
> at least in new code.
I don't have a strong opinion, but can we perhaps try a compromise
where we would be using C++ features only in new units (unlikely to be
backported)? Even though the backporting rate is indeed probably low,
it would still be nice to make it as easy as possible. Or is this
not really a practical suggestion?