Re: build bot failure

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is the debug stabstring for bfd_reloc_code_real_names now
> overflows the maximum length.  Your patch overflowed the limit.
>
> More recent releases of GCC for AIX added support for stab
> continuation strings, but not the release installed on the machine
> running the buildbot.

I finally got my compile farm account over the weekend, and have
confirmed what David Edelsohn already said.  bimutils/gdb will build
without debug info, but with debug info the build fails because of a
bug in the gcc-4.8.1 release in /opt/freeware/bin.  This bug is fixed
in gcc-5.x.

I tried a build of gcc-5.x using the existing gcc-4.8.4 release, and
ran into problem with shared libraries.  For some reason, the
installed gcc insists on using libraries in the build tree instead of
libraries from the install tree, and then fails with a linker error.
This is apparently an AIX feature, and I don't know how to work around
it.  I also tried builds with xlc, and discovered that neither
binutils nor gcc builds with xlc out of the box.  Apparently no one is
testing this.

Since there is no problem with my patch, and since I don't have any
business or personal interest in AIX, I'm not planning to look into
this any further.

We could maybe request a new gcc install on the gcc111 AIX machine,
but I don't know if this will accomplish anything useful anytime soon.

Jim