Use Binary Format with Pretty Printers

Hi,

I am trying to use gdb pretty printers to print values to a binary format (Google's protocol buffers) to be accessed over the MI interface. Is this possible given the way pretty printers are set up? It seems as though gdb uses python to print the value which tries to force an output encoding (such as utf8), which the binary format I am describing does not conform to. Is there a way to pass the bytes straight through without forcing an encoding on them? The reason we use the pretty printer interface is so that we do not have to maintain downstream patches of gdb for our specific use case.

Thanks much,
Alex
--
Alex Zahdeh | PE Debugger Development | Cray Inc.
azahdeh@cray.com | Office: 651-967-9628 | Cell: 651-300-2005