Re: C++ conversion status update

On Monday, April 18, 2016 05:51:12 PM Pedro Alves wrote:
> On 04/16/2016 01:21 AM, Pedro Alves wrote:
> > Yes, agreed.  I've sent a patch that does that to the
> > list now:
> >
> >  https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2016-04/msg00374.html
> >
> > If you could give it a try it'd be much appreciated.  I've pushed
> > it to the users/palves/ptrace-detection branch (at sourceware.org)
> > as well, for convenience.
>
> FYI, a fix is in master now.

Thanks, I was able to test it and it works great on FreeBSD/amd64.

I have a set of simple C++ build fixes for fbsd-nat.c I will post to patches@
in a bit.

The only remaining issue is that FreeBSD's stack_t defines ss_sp as char *
instead of void *.  Apparently 4.4BSD had this and the other BSD's fixed this
long ago.  When I first ran into this in January I fixed FreeBSD's trunk, so
11.0 will ship with a proper ss_sp of void *, but older releases will not.

The affected code is in setup_alternate_signal_stack() in gdb/main.c where
ss_sp is assigned to the void * returned from xmalloc().

I was torn between just supporting C++ builds on FreeBSD 11 and later, or
adding autoconf glue for just this part.  However, given that it seems like
the recent discussion is to deprecate C mode in the near future, it seems
like I should  do the latter.  Do you have any better suggestions?

--
John Baldwin